Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is perfect for any active lifestyle, so you don’t have to worry about carrying or losing your keys. Fits most standard doors and runs on 4 AA batteries. Powerbolt is easy to program and use; it has SmartKey Security as a backup key. This single cylinder bolt can be locked or unlocked from the outside with the keypad or key and the turn button right from inside.
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is an affordable 1-touch locking motorized deadbolt. With your personalized code, you can easily enter your home without a key. Take a look at the features of the Kwikset Powerbolt2 in detail below.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Programming process
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 has a different numeric keypad layout. It has 5 keys for numeric entry and an additional lock key for a one-touch lock. The first time you look at the design may seem like an unusual design, but it is simple. When you press a key, the backlight is activated. The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 backlit is not very bright to use in the dark or direct sunlight.
You can still use it in the dark, but you will always feel the need for a brighter backlight. We recommend that you press the keyboard lock key to activate the backlight before entering the code. In this way, you will avoid errors when entering the code.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 can store 6 user codes and one-time code. You can set these codes from 4 to 10 digits. The one-time code is a great feature as we can generally see this feature on electronic locks and smart locks.
Once the code has been used, it will delete, and the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Programming Guide will provide more information on this. Programming the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 can be easily done using the keyboard.
The programming process is straightforward. Since there are no smart features, you cannot program codes through an app. To add a user code, YOU must enter the master code. The standard master code is 0000, and the standard or maybe default unlock code is 1234. As a first step, you should change these codes to avoid unwanted attempts on your door.
Kwikset SmartKey Security
SmartKey Security is a new protection technology developed by Kwikset. It offers you an impact-resistant and shockproof door lock to take security to the next level. There is no need to worry about lock bumping or picking attacks on your door locks.
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is ANSI/BHMA certified, which means it is rated good on the resident security platform.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Smartkey Rekey Instructions
Smarkey Rekey comes with the Kwikset Powerbolt 2. Changing the key generally requires some tools to do it yourself. Another solution is to have a locksmith service that will add extra cost to you. Even with tools, it may not be easy to change the keys yourself. Thanks to Kwikset Smartkey Rekey, rekey is very useful when you have multiple locks. Check the following 3 steps:
- You must first remove the battery and place the deadbolt in the locked position. If you have a lever or maybe button, ensure it is in the locked condition. Make sure your door cannot be closed by wind or other factors while outside.
- Fully insert the key you are currently using, then turn it 90 degrees clockwise. Then insert the SmartKey Tool fully and firmly into the SmartKey hole – you may feel the tool click into the normal lock. Remove SmartKey Tool and Remove Current Key
- Insert a new key; Insert the Kwikset keyway compatible key that you want to use with the lock, and make sure the key is FULLY inserted. The edge of the key touched the notch on the cylinder surface and then turned the key 180 degrees clockwise. Do not pull or press the key. Finally, remove the key without using too much force.
How to enable/disable Auto-Lock on Kwikset Powerbolt 2 ?
Automatic locking is a must for all types of electronic locks. When you enable this feature, don’t worry if your door stays locked or unlocked. The Auto-Lock Feature is Very useful for families with kids and for people who don’t want to waste time locking! By default, Kwikset disables automatic locking.
When you enable it, the 30-second timer will be set as the default. Kwikset gives you the option to change this timer to 10-50 seconds. If you set one of these times (10, 20, 30, 40, or 50), your lock will automatically lock the door after the defined time has elapsed.
Activating the auto-lock is very simple. Activation only requires a few steps. YOU can find all the steps in the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 manual. Compared to its Kwikset SmartCode double lock, it is much easier to operate as it requires opening the indoor unit and a few more steps.
The Steps :
- confirm the lock is unlocked and therefore the door is open.
- Enter your Mastercode (default is 0 0 0 0).
- Click the lock button of kwikset Powerbolt 2. you’ll hear one beep.
- Press 1 – 1.
- Click the lock button. you’ll hear two beeps if successful. If you hear three beeps, it had been unsuccessful. Repeat from step 1 slowly.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 User Manuel
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 battery life
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 does not have smart features, which means that it will last longer than smart locks. 4 AA alkaline batteries are required for you to use this lock. Based on our experience, we recommend that you purchase Duracell batteries for the longest possible life. Battery life can change dramatically depending on weather conditions and frequency of use. The door’s condition, the battery’s quality, etc., and the battery can last up to more than 10 months under ideal conditions.
Unlike others, the Kwikset powerbolt 2 has a low battery indicator. When the battery is almost flat, a red light flashes with a warning tone. You have enough time to change the batteries to avoid completely draining. If you silence the warning tones, the red light will only blink ten times.
In the event of a low battery, you can still unlock the door with your existing key. Changing the batteries is easy. Just remove the cover from the indoor unit, and you will see the battery compartment where the batteries are located. You can replace them directly as the whole process takes about 1 minute. (Changement Kwikset batteries Guide : Install/replace Kwikset Powerbolt batteries).
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Installation Process
Your door must have the following specifications before installing the Kwikset Powerbolt 2.
- The door should be 1 to 3/8 or 1 to 3/4 thick
- Hole indoor is 2-1 / 8 or 1-1 / 2 inches wide
- 1 hole in the edge of the door
- Door Backset 2-3 / 8 or 2-3 / 4 inch wide
If your door does not meet these specifications, you will not be able to use Kwikset powerbolt 2 on your door, or you will have to do some drilling. All that is required for installation is a Phillips screwdriver and a ruler. Depending on the condition of your door, you may also need pliers, a hammer, and a woodblock, but most likely, you don’t.
The Steps for Kwikset Powerbolt Installation:
- Begin by removing the old deadbolt,
- Locate the screws and remove using a screwdriver,
- Make sure to hold the exterior lock with your other hand so that it does not fall out once the screws are removed the lock can be removed by pulling either side of the door,
- Remove the old latch by unscrewing the two screws in the face of the latch once the screws are removed, you can remove the latch in this way,
- Measure and confirm that the hole the door is either 2 and an eighth of an inch or one and a half thumb in diameter,
- Take the new latch and hold it in front of the door hole with the latch face against the door edge the slot should be centered in the hole if it’s not then adjust the length by turning the latch face 180 degrees,
- Once adjusted for center install the new latch in this manner making sure the slot is oriented at the bottom secure into place using two of the small screws,
- Locate the strike plate on the door frame i’m choosing to use the existing plate,
- Remove the old plate in this manner using a screwdriver,
- Once the screws are out the plate can be removed match the new plate to the latch hole…
Please, watch this Vdeo for the rest of the Steps of kwikset powerbolt installation :
Kwikset Powerbolt 2: Pros And Cons
If you are looking for something that will serve you without smart r features, we have no hesitation in recommending this model. We will write a list of pros and cons for you to see.
Final words About Kwikset powerbolt 2
Like most top-of-the-line Kwikset locks, the Kwikset powerbolt 2 has an auto-lock feature and a backlit keypad. More importantly, it is easy to install and offers guests a unique PIN for temporary use. We found this Kwikset Powerbolt 2 extremely useful for someone who has friends who visit him/her and stay with them for a while; they can enter the house as they wish, and as soon as they leave, the device will erase the guest code.